28 Jul Teen Writing Challenge: Reimagined Classics
By Rachel Ratajski
The theme for HEPL’s next Teen Writing Challenge is reimagined classics! Put your own unique twist on a classic fairy tale, myth, or story from classic literature.
Teen writers can submit an original, reimagined classics-themed short story for HEPL’s 5th Teen Writing Challenge!
|WHO:||Teens in grades 6-12 living in or attending school in Fishers or Noblesville (and/or Delaware, Fall Creek, Noblesville, or Wayne township)|
|WHEN:||Entries are due Thursday, August 31, 2023 by 8:00pm|
|WHAT:||An original short story|
|WINNERS:||1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners receive gift cards of $50, $30, and $25, respectively (winners can choose gift cards from Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Target, or Starbucks) and a meet-and-greet with the visiting authors for HEPL’s Books Build Bridges event on September 30, 2023!|
- Only one entry per person
- Entries must be in the form of a short story
- Submissions must be original works and not plagiarized
- Entries must be 3,000 words or less
- Content should be appropriate for general teen audience
- Entries must include the author’s NAME, GRADE, SCHOOL, EMAIL, PHONE #, and ADDRESS
- Entries must be typed and submitted via email to Rachel Ratajski, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries must be submitted by Thursday, August 31, 2023 by 8:00pm
- Judges for the contest will be a mixed panel of HEPL staff (adults) and Teen Advisory Board members (teens) who do not have entries in the contest
- Submissions will be judged anonymously with only the author’s grade level visible to judges (grade level/age of author will be considered when judging)
- Judges will be looking at the following criteria:
- 3,000 words or less
- Story fits the reimagined classics theme
- Appropriateness for general teen audience
- Organization and flow of the work
- Overall entertainment and readability
Winners will be announced Wednesday, September 20, 2023. Winning authors will be asked to return a signed permission form allowing HEPL to post their awesome work on our website.
We can’t wait to read your stories! Good luck!
If you have any questions about the contest, please feel free to email: email@example.com