Check out our frequently asked questions!

Hamilton East Public Library is here for you. Are you interested in using the library’s services, but you aren’t sure where to start because you have too many questions? We can help!

If you cannot find an answer to your question, don’t hesitate to ask any staff member at Hamilton East Public Library. You can also visit our Policies page for more detailed information. We are here to help you find what you need!

How do I get a library card?

If you reside or own property in the township of Delaware, Fall Creek, Noblesville or Wayne in Hamilton County, bring a current, valid photo ID and a document issued within the last 60 days verifying your address to the Service Desk at either Fishers Library or Noblesville Library. Acceptable documents include mail (with a legible postmark), statements, bills, leases, etc. A current driver’s license is also an acceptable form of identification.

If you reside or own property in the township of Adams, Clay, Jackson, or Washington in Hamilton County, bring in a picture ID and your library card from your local library. Hamilton East Public Library (HEPL) has a “reciprocal borrowing” agreement with the public libraries serving those areas. Once your information is verified with the local library, you will be able to use your home library card to borrow material and use other HEPL services (except for e-services and interlibrary loan services).

If you live in White River Township in Hamilton County, there is no public library in White River Township, and no agreement for library services has been signed with a neighboring public library. However, you may obtain a HEPL card with all of the same privileges as a resident’s card by paying the “non-resident fee-payer” fee. Please call the library at 317-773-1384 (Noblesville) or 317-579-0301 (Fishers) to obtain the annual fee amount for the current calendar year.

If you live in the state of Indiana, but outside of Hamilton County, you may obtain library service by presenting an Indiana Public Library Access Card (PLAC) and the public library card issued to you by your local public library. You may purchase a PLAC from your local public library, or you may purchase one when you register at HEPL. Once your information is verified, you will receive a HEPL card for as long as the PLAC is valid.

If you live outside of the state of Indiana, you are not eligible to purchase a PLAC or obtain a library card. You may still use the other services offered by the library — you may browse the collections and periodicals, use the study rooms, attend children’s and adult programs, obtain reference services, or use the public computers or wireless network.

Where can I use my card?

Your HEPL card can be used at either Fishers Library or Noblesville Library.  Additionally, if you register as a reciprocal borrower, you may use any library in Hamilton County (Carmel, Westfield, Hamilton North, and Sheridan).  Ask our staff for more details about the reciprocal borrowing program!

Do I have to have my library card with me to check out or use library materials?

We strongly recommend that you present your library card every time you check out materials for your protection. However, if you do not have your library card with you, you may check out items by showing a valid photo ID at the Service Desk.

What if I lose my card?

If your library card is lost or stolen, it is your responsibility to notify the library immediately. If you do not notify us, you will be held responsible for all items checked out on your card. This includes all overdue fines and/or replacement charges for lost or damaged material. Once you notify the library the card is missing, a block will immediately be placed on the card so that no one can use it.

How soon after I apply for a library card can I check out materials?

If you present all of the requested items at registration (see “How do I get a library card” above), you will have full privileges and be able to use your card immediately. If your residence cannot be verified, you will be issued a card and be able to check out two items with limited services until your residence is verified. If you register as a “reciprocal borrower” (resident outside the HEPL service area, but in Hamilton County except for White River Township), or as a PLAC borrower, you will be able to use the library as soon as your registration information is verified.

What does my library card allow me to do?

Your card entitles you to borrow any circulating print and non-print materials available at Fishers Library or Noblesville Library. You are also entitled to use all of the library’s services, from downloading eBooks to using public computers or wireless network.

How old does my child have to be to get a library card?

Children 5 years of age and older are eligible to get a library card as long as their parent/guardian resides or owns property in the township of Delaware, Fall Creek, Noblesville, or Wayne in Hamilton County.

If I have a card issued through the PLAC program, what does that allow me to do?

PLAC cardholders have access to print, non-print, and electronic resources provided by HEPL. Interlibrary loan requests for items not available through HEPL’s collections must be requested through the patron’s home library.

If I have purchased a non-resident fee-payer library card, what am I allowed to do?

Your card entitles you to check out the same materials and enjoy the same library services as residents of the HEPL service area.

When does my library card or PLAC expire?

Standard HEPL cards are valid for up to two years after the issue date. If you have a HEPL card issued through the PLAC card program, your HEPL card will expire on the same date as your PLAC card (and can be renewed by presenting a new PLAC card). Non-resident fee-payer cards expire one year from the date the fee was paid. Reciprocal cards expire one year from the date of registration.

What are the fines for overdue materials?

Effective November 1, 2021 the library implemented a Fine Free Policy and will no longer charge overdue fines on late library materials, including books, audiobooks, and DVDs.  Lost and damaged items and other miscellaneous fees will remain in place.   To get a complete view of the library’s loan periods and fees, click the button below:

Can I renew an item online?

Before your due date, we will attempt to renew eligible items automatically.  If your library account needs attention, or if an item cannot be renewed (express copies, items with holds, items which have reached a maximum of 5 renewals), items must be returned by the original due date to avoid overdue fines.  You may still attempt to renew items independently by accessing your account via the library app or website, or you may call the library at 317.773.1384 (Noblesville) or 317.579.0300 (Fishers) for further assistance.

Can I place a hold on an item online?

Yes. First, find the item in our catalog. Click the “Place Hold” link. If you are not already logged in, enter your library card number (without spaces) and PIN, and select the location, Fishers or Noblesville, where you will pick up the item. NOTE: To place a hold online, your account must have a status of “OK” (no overdue items or outstanding fines). You may also place and manage holds via the Hamilton East Public Library app.

Can I recommend specific materials I would like to see at the library?

Yes. We encourage our readers to make suggestions for new additions to our catalog. We will attempt to acquire the item, by either purchasing it or borrowing it from another library.

I have questions or concerns about certain materials available in the library.

Hamilton East Public Library serves a large and diverse community. Within our community, groups and individuals have diverse interests, backgrounds, and needs, and the library was created to serve all people within our service district. For more information about how we collect materials to serve our community, see our Collection Development Policy.

If you are still concerned about a specific item or items, we offer a process where materials may be reconsidered for inclusion in our collection. Please contact us for more information.

What do I do if I’ve lost or damaged library material?

Please contact the library for an evaluation of the item. Because we reserve the right to replace specific lost or damaged items with more up-to-date versions or formats based on Library needs, HEPL does not accept replacements in lieu of payment for lost or damaged items.

Still looking for more information? How can we help you?
The Fishers & Noblesville Libraries will be closed on Monday, May 30 for Memorial Day.
Noblesville Exterior Book Drop is closed - return library materials inside. | See Construction News Here